Friday, October 21, 2011

Haboob 2011

On Monday,
Lubbock expereinced it's first Haboob
since 1935!!
(and I am so lucky to be living here to witness it!)

Blake had just gotten home from class,
thank goodness considering he rides his bike!!
We were sitting in the "office" chatting about our day
when everything went dark
(it was only 5:30 and bright and sunny 10 seconds earlier).
We got up to investigate
and was greeted by this:

I honest to God
thought the world was coming to an end.

I'm not going to be picky and choose the way in which I leave this world
but being swallowed up by dirt was not what I had envisioned!
Prior to moving to Lubbock that is.

This picture was in the midst of the Haboob...
This was a picture from our backdoor.
Everything literally went orange for about 10 minutes!

The Haboob was brought in by 60 mile an hour winds
with gusts up to 71mph!
And was intensified by the fact that it has rained 3.16 inches since January 1!!!!!
You can not even imagine the drought this part of the country is experiencing.

I am heartbroken for the farmers.
It's been all over the local news that the ones
who were lucky enough to even grow cotton this year
lots the majority of it with the Haboob!
So sad.

So if anyone was planning to come and visit me,
spare yourselves.

CMG

No comments:

Post a Comment