Wednesday, April 27, 2011

What a week (and it's only Wednesday)!

Let's start with this guy....
We are back in Pecos this week finishing up somethings before we get to spend some much needed time in Lubbock for the month of May. To say that we are excited to sleep in our own bed for more than 3 nights a week would be an understatement! We found out last minute that we would be coming this week and there were no longer any pet friendly rooms available so we left the furry children at home. We didn't think it would be much of an issue since we had put the dog door in so RHETT and george can come and go from the house to the yard as needed and the neighbors were going to watch/feed them.
Well, RHETT decided that he wasn't going to be left at home alone (george was there but he mainly sleeps all day long so he is NO fun)! The neighbor called me about an hour after we left and said that she had spotted RHETT at the park playing, ha! So she called him over and wasn't sure what to do with him as he had eaten a hole in the wood fence, nice! Did I mention that the neighbor watching him is also our landlord, lovely! We decided to put him in the house and close the dog door (this entails sliding the metal door through the brackets and clasping it shut). Well, when she and her son went to check on him after school (4 or 5 hours later) he was no where to be found, the dog door had been removed and the bricks she placed in front of the hole in the fence had been removed as well. I told her not to fear this isn't the first time he has pulled out his magician moves and that he hadn't (hopefully) gone far. I mentioned that he was probably on the front porch people watching (he is his mother's son) and lo and behold there he was, happy as a clam sitting in the shade on the front porch.
At this point, we were at a lose for what to do with him considering he managed to move everything in order to plot his next escape. To make a long story short, I got a phone call from a few people in our neighborhood Monday, after the above, who "had my dog"! I called the neighbor and she and the kids had tied him to the lanyard in the front yard (like I told them to) and went to supper. Well in the hour they were gone he had escaped again! Thankfully a guy we met when we first moved found him as he was leaving for a run, called me (he didn't know it was me or my dog until he called and we put 2 and 2 together) decided to take him for a run with him (such a nice guy) until the neighbor returned from supper. We decided to have RHETT sleep inside the neighbors house so that he couldn't escape again and that we would come up with Plan B by the morning. I assured her that as long as he was around people he wouldn't dare go anywhere! And he didn't, the second he walked inside he hit the floor and slept like a log until they woke up for school.
Much to his dismay, I am sure, Hodini was taken to the boarder first thing Tuesday morning and will stay there until we get back Friday afternoon.
Who needs children?!?!?! I am still exhausted from all of this!!

We decided to venture out to The West of The Pecos Museum today.
We've been talking about it over the last few months since we've been out here and today we decided to finally go. It was pretty neat. They have a sign in that they have people sign when they visit and I must say I was most impressed by where the people come from that visit Pecos!! I never even knew this place existed until we came here for work, ha!
I know that most of my readers do not live in West Texas and the majority of you are drowning right now from all of the rain. Well, things could NOT be more different out here right now. Blake and I moved out here 2 days after Christmas and I have not seen a drop of rain since we left Shreveport! It is AWFUL how dry it is out here and everything, literally, EVERYTHING is on fire! Below is an actual fire that is burning as I type this about 30 miles from where we are currently in Pecos. It is heartbreaking what is happening out here.
Please keep all of these people in your prayers and PLEASE pray for rain and NO wind!!!
Above is the Fort Davis fire
If you are familiar with the area, that is the McDonald Observatory on the right
Hope everyone is having a good week!!
CMG

No comments:

Post a Comment