Monday, June 21, 2010

From I Do's to Honey Do's Part II

Well, BEG hit his first snag in our "do it yourself" home remodel this weekend. He had hoped to dig the post holes for the back deck on Wednesday night so that he and Paxton could work on it this weekend, however he was in for a nice little surprise. About 6 inches under the dirt where 2 of his holes need to be he hit brick!! We are not quite sure of the bricks purpose, all we know is it is exactly where our holes need to be so..................the covering of the back deck will just have to wait. Paxton came over yesterday evening and was able to use a hammer saw (I think that's what it is called) to bust through the brick so BEG will attempt to continue digging the holes this week and hopefully they will be ready to start on the cover soon (fingers crossed!)

But in the meantime, there are plenty of other things that need to be done! So since BEG was available on Saturday I put him to work painting a piece of furniture I was given while living in DC and have used in my house ever since. We have it by the backdoor at Gladstone to put our keys on when we come in and just for a little bit of storage. It looks sooooo much better now that we painted it. Here are before and after pictures: (I forgot to take a before and am having quite a difficult time finding one; I will continue to look for one but in the meantime here is the after!)

We finally found an arrangement in the living that suits BEG and I both (thank goodness!!) so we were on the hunt for an armoire this weekend as well. With the rooms being so large and the ceilings so tall we were on the hunt for a relatively large piece and we found the perfect one at the Caboose Antiques in Shreveport. I love the piece and it is perfect for the room! I needed a place for all of my "knick knacks" and books and this is just the perfect piece for that and it looks beautiful in the room. It is our second piece from Caboose. (Side note: That is my new sewing machine to the left of the bookcase.)

I thought a plant for the living room to put behind the chair and a half (need tall things since the ceilings are 12 feet tall!!) would be nice but I refused to pay full price for one at the store (they are really expensive) so while out and about a few weekends ago we came across a garage sale down the street from my old house and we found a plant for $2!!!!!!!!! Such a steal! I was so proud of myself for my cheap purchase and it is exactly what I had envisioned. Looks pretty good for $2...

I have my first sewing lesson on Wednesday night and I am so excited! This whole sewing thing came about last week as I need some valances made for the sunroom/breezeway. The lady we have used for years for sewing is getting older and will retire before too long so I thought it would be a good idea to learn to sew for myself. Other shops intown are just so expensive for "little" projects and I refuse to pay their outrageous prices when I could just buy a machine and do it myself for the same price! Hopefully my valances will turn out decent enough to hang. If so I will post a picture for you to see!!

Have a good week!

CMG


No comments:

Post a Comment